[crossfire] About a feature request

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Aug 19 17:11:13 CDT 2006

Hello.

I'm looking at
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=656191&group_id=13833&atid=363833
historical feature request to have blessed/cursed scrolls and books.

Here's what I see as effects (copied from the page)

* cursed scroll: ill effect, depending on spell - identify would make player
forget about an identified item, and such. Would require some work to define
ill effects for all spells, though. Option "fast" is to cast some mana
explosion, of course. Or leech player's mana? Could be fun :)
* blessed scroll: add 2 levels to casting. Other option: more exp when used?

* cursed spellbook: forget a spell
* blessed spellbook: bonus to learn a spell

Of course, blessed/cursed should be rare occurrances.

Codewise, cursed we got a flag.
For blessed, I don't know the best way to signal that. I'm not too eager to
add a flag just for that, on the other hand using an existing flag for
something else that its destination is weird.
Or maybe insert a special object in inventory? (and thus use treasure list to
add the blessed stuff)

What do you think?

Nicolas