[crossfire] Spell path balance - Summoning

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Mon Aug 21 12:09:25 CDT 2006

Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> Something needs to be done to re-balance this skill (and also some
> other skills).  However, some of the solutions that have been proposed
> so far would only make "charm monsters" useless or dangerous to use,
> which would not solve the other part of the problem: this skill is too
> difficult to use at low levels.
Well, note though, that past level 20 or so, summoning is *completely*
useless *except* for charm monster. Summoned monsters are far too weak
to have any use at level 30 and up, and sure there's animate weapon,
however the only things strong enough to be worth animating are not
worth the risk of loosing. Personally I think there are four things that
could be done to balance summoning properly:
- Make charmkilling not so powerful without completely making it
useless. (personally I think requiring line of sight and limited range
might be a good method, possibly in addition to making 'killpets' not
always work)
- Add more powerful types of summoned creatures at higher levels
(Possibly just more things for 'summon creature' or possibly (a) new
spell(s) like 'summon greater creature')
- Make the first few levels more practical to use it with, possibly by
making the summoned creatures faster or more powerful.
- Not as needed to balance as the other notes, but somehow reducing the
risk of loss of a weapon used with animate weapon.

Alex Schultz