[crossfire] Spell path balance - Summoning

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 18:55:44 CDT 2006

On 8/21/06, Alex Schultz <alex_sch at telus.net> wrote:
> Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> > Something needs to be done to re-balance this skill (and also some
> > other skills).  However, some of the solutions that have been proposed
> > so far would only make "charm monsters" useless or dangerous to use,
> > which would not solve the other part of the problem: this skill is too
> > difficult to use at low levels.
> Well, note though, that past level 20 or so, summoning is *completely*
> useless *except* for charm monster. Summoned monsters are far too weak
> to have any use at level 30 and up, and sure there's animate weapon,
> however the only things strong enough to be worth animating are not
> worth the risk of loosing. Personally I think there are four things that
> could be done to balance summoning properly:
> - Make charmkilling not so powerful without completely making it
> useless. (personally I think requiring line of sight and limited range
> might be a good method, possibly in addition to making 'killpets' not
> always work)

Agreed.  For modifying "killpets", I'd change it to "dismisspets".
Then code it so summoned monsters are killed and charmed monsters are
set to be peaceful.  However, this doesn't address the issue of what
happens when a monster is charmed, then taken to another map.

> - Add more powerful types of summoned creatures at higher levels
> (Possibly just more things for 'summon creature' or possibly (a) new
> spell(s) like 'summon greater creature')

There is "Magehound", but I think it was added more as an example.
Someone would have to check for balance issues before it is actually
made available to players.

> - Make the first few levels more practical to use it with, possibly by
> making the summoned creatures faster or more powerful.

Agreed.

> - Not as needed to balance as the other notes, but somehow reducing the
> risk of loss of a weapon used with animate weapon.

Can't think of anything other than giving it temporary immunity to
being damaged (burnt up, icecubed, etc) or making the weapon come back
to the player after the spell's effect ends.

--
Andrew Fuchs