[crossfire] crossfire source code control systems

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Aug 22 23:41:39 CDT 2006

  Any selection method is flawed at some level.

  Voting probably does make the most sense - but even then, you get some
complications - should the amount of commits a person do also have weight on the
number of votes?

  A person who does 5 commits a week is using the system a lot more than the
person that does 1 commit a month.  Do we attempt to weigh that at all?  And if
so, how?

  (its probably worth noting that different people work on different things,
which probably also weighs on what they want to use.  Rename feature is going to
be much more important for maps and archetypes than for the code area, where
files are seldom renamed)

  Is the voting method just vote for what you want to use?  Or does each person
provide a list, and you weigh the bottom vote getters with some negative points?
(for example, if lots of people put the same thing as their bottom choice, that
suggest some strong dislike).

  And how long should the voting process be for?  Need some finite time -
probably a week or so.

  Should we vote on the voting method? :)