[crossfire] extended info markup language

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Aug 27 23:12:44 CDT 2006

  I'm looking at extending the extended info text logic for the gtkv2 client.
Not that it will bring up popup windows, but rather so that the gtkv2 client can
change text faces, colors, etc within the text.

  I really got to thinking on this with the issue of the client always using the
same font for all output from the server, and that doesn't make sense for things
like the shop listing, or who and maps command (where you want a fixed width
font).  So drawextinfo is the correct approach - add a new type, and the client
can know what to do with that type.

  However, looking at what is currently there, the rules file as is in the
server/lib directory uses some simple markup language.

  Unfortunately, there is no documentation anyplace that I can find of what this
markup language is - the other documentation is to look at the source code,
which really isn't acceptable (both from a developer perspective of trying to
write something that handles this, but I'd also think from a user perspective,
who will have no idea what markup they can in fact use).

  Can the original author of this please write up some documentation of this
markup language and add it the the server/doc/developers directory?