[crossfire] Bogus XP gains?

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 29 23:18:21 CDT 2006

For some time now, I have noticed that the XP loss when you die is no big deal
because  after leveling a few skills you almost always get back your lost XP.
I thought this was a "feature", but now I wonder if there is a bug somewhere
in CVS.

Tonight I was messing around in the trio of caves to the east of the Tower of
the Stars.  They are low level caves.  Due to several server crashes, I never
got deeper than two or three levels in one of the caves.  These are low-level
caves.

At the end of the evening, my score change is

446 7139867 Rayvin the Scripter left the game on map apartments [133][73][57]
420 8723235 Rayvin the Scripter left the game on map apartments [127][81][61]

There is no way that I gained this XP tonight, and, I got two quantum leaps in
XP, so my working theory that you just got back XP you lost when you died seems
flawed.  Is there some kind of mechanism to give back XP when you raise stats
that where hosed by death?  The XP jumps all seem to occur after leveling a
skill.

I mean, it is cool to be up at this level and all, but it feels like I didn't
earn it.  Also, maybe my thinking is off, but I was under the impression that
your score was the sum of your skill XPs.  My score is 8723235, but when I add
up my skill XP, I only get 5067405.

I checked a character on another server, and the matches the sum of the skills
experience.  Does anyone else see this odd behavior and should it be put into
a tracker, or is there a simple explanation?

--
Kevin R. Bulgrien