[crossfire] Documentation / wiki

Aaron Baugher aaron_baugher at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 17:51:20 CST 2006

I'm a relative newbie to Crossfire, playing as 'Mhoram' on metalforge these days.  I played it several years ago, but my Internet connection was poor, so I was stuck playing alone on my own server, and was never part of the Crossfire "community."  Since my C is too rusty to help much with the code, and I'm not artistic enough to make maps, I'd like to help add documentation to the wiki, and I'd be interested in opinions from more experienced folks here on what it could use.

Any suggestions on what documentation most needs to be written, updated, or improved?  I'll start a wish-list of things to work on.

In the meantime, I thought I'd start on the list of spells, since that's not on the wiki yet.  I'd like to do it differently than the web site.  Instead of all the spells broken up alphabetically, A-D and so on, I thought I'd split them up according to skill -- a page of summoning spells, a page of pyromancy, and so on.  Then there would be an alphabetical index page of all spells with links into those pages.  I'm finding that when I play a spellcaster, I'm usually not interested in every discipline (and may be banned from some by my god) so this way I wouldn't have to scroll past spells I can't use to find the ones I can.  It would also let me easily see what my next available spells are as I increase level in a particular skill.  What do you think?  I suppose I can go ahead and do up a sample, and trash it if that doesn't work.

Also, I was wondering about the organization of the wiki.  (I hope this is the right place to discuss it.)  I've noticed that most of the pages are 'top-level'.  For example, Lore is a top-level page, but then the pages under it, like Book of Valriel are also top-level, instead of having a link like lore:book_of_valriel.  Does this matter?  For the sake of organization, should I have links like magic:spells:pyromancy?  I want to make sure my links fit into any future organizational plans for the wiki.

Thanks,
Aaron