[crossfire] Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Gridarta Team

Christian Hujer cher at riedquat.de
Wed Dec 20 16:57:28 CST 2006

Dear co-developers,
Dear Crossfire developers,
Dear Daimonin developers,

merry christmas and a happy new year to all of you!

Year 2006 has been a very interesting year for all of us.

At the crossfire and daimonin g2g's I've met new friends and we've exchanged
many interesting ideas. I've seen new activities and new spirit for both of
these projects.

And it was the year Gridarta was founded. We still have a long way to go
rejoining the crossfire and daimonin editors into a common code base. But
we're also making good progress, and with every commit the code becomes more
mature. We're getting closer to some substantial changes to both of the
editors. Let me take this chance to announce a set of new features that I'm
planning for 2007:
* The first public releases plus the corresponding branches to separate
potentially unstable feature implementations from bug fixing for existing
versions.
* Gridarta Webstart, which should reduce michtoen's burden with creating
update releases of the map maker package and might also make the life easier
for windows users of gridarta for crossfire (are there any?).
* A plugin and scripting interface for gridarta (not only for cfeditor - note:
I'm planning to use Java 6.0 for it).
* Configurable map validation (not only for daieditor).
* User interfaces for more comfortable editing of @match texts (magic mouths)
and daimonin's book ui.
* An integrated archetype editor incl. animation handler.
* Plus of course all features that you, the users, like.
Only limitation: Our free time ;-)

Also let me use this occasion to express my thanks to all of you in many ways.
First of all, special thanks go to Ragnor and zergus for their valueable
contributions. Without them, gridarta wouldn't even be half as far as it is.
In fact, during the last few weeks, most substantial merge progress was due
to Ragnor's many commits.
And many thanks to everybody who put trust in Gridarta, and to the patient
users on both sides, crossfire and daimonin, that willingly accept that such
a merger first slows down implementation of new features.
Also thank you all for all your input and exchange of ideas to improve
Gridarta.
Last but not least thanks to all "little helpers" like Rednaxela who started
publishing some interesting metrics in the crossfire wiki or all the bug and
feature request reporters like naomeire, ryo and smacky (list definitely
incomplete ;-).

Merry christmas and a happy new year to all of you!

Cher and the Gridarta project team
--
Christian Hujer
Free software developer
mailto:cher at riedquat.de
http://www.riedquat.de/
PGP Fingerprint: 03DE 4B72 4E57 A98D C79B 24A5 212E 0217 0554 CCAB