[crossfire] LF vs CRLF

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Dec 21 15:45:36 CST 2006

Hello.
(sent with delay due to mail issues)

> Make a rule of always making sure svn:eol-style is set to LF or not set
> (preferably not set as to match what I have done already IMHO). The
> drawback of this is that there are bound to be some mistakes in
> following this rule, though on the other hand a script to check it would
> be simple.

Since the server currently only support LF (loader.l will choke horribly, as
wekk as most parts of the code), I think we should set that property to LF.
It will avoid issues with Windows users not manually setting that flag, also
makes it coherent with the rest.

> There is also the option of seeing if we could get sf.net to place an
> approved post-commit hooked script in which makes sure it's unset for
> all maps and arches. This would be safer than the above, but there's a
> high chance we wouldn't be able to get sf.net to approve such a script
> for usage.

If set to LF, I think SVN converts automatically at commit time (except binary
files, of course).

> Finally, there is also the option of making the server handle both LF
> and CRLF style line endings. IMHO this is the best option for a long
> term  and proper solution. I'm not sure off hand how easy this would be
> with lex though.

Probably, yes, but a long-time goal I think :)

Nicolas