[crossfire] cfclient colouring

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Feb 1 00:48:37 CST 2006

Brendan Lally wrote:
> On 1/31/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>>   I'd personally say that requiring a 256 color display isn't asking too much
>> now days.
>
> I'm inclined to agree, I just don't know xlibs well enough to break
> support for 16 colour displays in a non-hacky way. (there is still
> some 'private colourmap' stuff, which I think is somehow related to
> that)

  actually, I don't think there is anything specific about using 16 colors.  I
think it was just that 16 colors were used - it could very well be 12 or 25 - as
far as X is concerned, it doesn't care (unless someone only had 4 bit color, but
I don't know if such hardware ever existed).

  And right now, while only those 16 colors are used for standard drawing
elements, hundreds of more are used for the actual images themselves.

  Private colormap is a leftover from 8 bit display - most 8 bit hardware could
only display 256 different colors at a time, but out of the palette of 16
million (24 bit color).  So one would use colormaps to determine what colors of
the palette your are drawing.

  Now there may still be some people out there still on 8 bit color.  But it is
probably fair to have 16+ bit color be a minimum requirement now days (actually,
the other clients, that don't do color map stuff, will probably work on 8 bit
color, just look pretty crappy)