[crossfire] Transports

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Feb 2 00:55:34 CST 2006

Lalo Martins wrote:

> Which leads to another idea - some transports could be set up to behave
> as pets when unpiloted (behave as pets, not count as pets - killpets
> shouldn't kill them), so that you have 2 horses, you put your stuff on
> one, mount the other, and the "cargo" horse follows you.  If on another
> adventure you have an ally, he can borrow your second horse and mount it
> normally.

  Probably wouldn't be too hard, but there may be some issues as related to the
object actually moving and not (the object would have to have speed).  But you
also perhaps get odd issues - I shouldn't be able to load the horse to the max
so I don't carry anything, and then run home and have that horse 'teleport' like
pets do to keep up my pace.

  If I run away, that horse should just stop moving.  The problem here is the
map transitions - for example, if I'm returning to scorn, my horse should follow
me into the gatehouse if nearby.  But if he is 10 maps away, he shouldn't.

  The problem right now I think is that the pets don't catch up until they move.
    So what happens, players moves onto gatehouse, the pet moves, but it has no
real clue how close/far it was from the player.

  This could perhaps get fixed by adding some special code for when the player
changes map to also moves the pets at that moment.