[crossfire] Transports

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Fri Feb 3 00:44:51 CST 2006

Anton Oussik wrote:
> On 02/02/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>>> Also, how about setting up shipping routes and roads by placing
>>> directors for transport on them?
>>   Is the point here to have boats automatically sail from point A to B, or to
>> give players a clue?
>
> Have boats/carts/horses sail automatically between crossings of routes
> or roads when on a road. There would need to be routes going in
> different directions, and sea routes would probably not be optimal (so
> a person doing it manually could get there faster).

  Well, we don't currently have that code.

  The idea of using movers never appeals to me that much.

  I'd think this would be better done by scripting.  Instead of having to put
movers all over the place, a script with some basic waypoints could be done
(move to x1,y1.  Then move to x2,y2, etc)  For most routes, you'd probably only
need half a dozen or so waypoints (the script in question would just go in
straight lines).  A script also has the advantage it could have some basic logic
to try to get around obstacles.

  If you just use movers, all it takes is one player to park something along the
line of movers and you would get all the transports piling up.