[crossfire] RFC: gtk client with gtk2

Andreas Kirschbaum kirschbaum at myrealbox.com
Thu Feb 9 16:16:33 CST 2006

Lalo Martins wrote:
> I've been running the gtk client compiling with gtk2 for about 3
> months now; it works beautifully (better than with gtk1), sdl and all.
>
> The problems I know about seem to be:
>
> - SDL doesn't work for some people.  I couldn't find one of those people
> to comment, though.  It works for me.

If you cannot actually find somebody having these problems, I don't
think it should prevent you from applying the patch: if there really is
a problem, "those people" will (hopefully) complain and we can fix the
bug then.

> - If I turn off popups, I can't log in. Everything else works. I'm
> currently working around this by leaving popups on, then disabling it
> after I log in, and not saving the config. This should of course be
> fixed, but with the gtk2 code residing in a separate patch somewhere,
> it's somewhat hard, not to mention there's little incentive.

To me, this would be a blocking reason: I've seen a few players on mf
that presumably did die because of popups appearing at the "wrong" time.
Therefore I think this option (enable/disable popups) really should
work.

> - IIRC, there was some bogosity with the autotools support - the
> person who wrote the patch doesn't know enough autotools to add the
> proper checks. I can volunteer to do this, but if someone else who's
> better at it than me wants to do it, even better.

Sorry, can't help here.

> So, if we can get around these three items, can we commit the gtk2
> support to CVS?

No objections from me (if the popup problem is fixed).

> Maybe we should simply commit it right now, on a branch; I volunteer
> to keep the branch up-to-date with any client fixes that happen on the
> HEAD. Then when the three problems are fixed, we merge the branch.

I would not recommend to create a branch: it is a lot of work to keep it
up-to-date or to merge it afterwards. And I don't think many people will
find/use it, thus it does not help much for testing.

Instead, my preferred solution would be to commit it to the main branch.