[crossfire] Collaboration on a Java-based map editor? (repost)

Christian Hujer Christian.Hujer at itcqis.com
Fri Feb 10 14:10:55 CST 2006

Am Freitag, 10. Februar 2006 03:44 schrieb Lalo Martins:
> And so says Andreas Kirschbaum on 10/02/06 07:12...
>
> >  - The Daimonin editor requires Java 1.5. The CF-Editor still works with
> >    Java 1.4. Since switching back to 1.4 does not really make sense to
> >    me, 1.5 would become a requirement for Crossfire.
>
> Java 1.4 doesn't work for me.
>
> And sorry for being the resident RMS, but IMHO, supporting 1.4 does make
> sense, until there is another 1.5 VM out there apart from Sun's.  I
> already dislike Java strongly enough, I'd rather not run Sun's VM if I
> have a choice about it.
I am the maintainer of the Daimonin map editor. (Cher in IRC)
We migrated to 1.5 a year ago.

From a developer point of view, 1.5 is vital:
* Final Fixes in the PNG libraries
* Generics
* Foreach Loops
* Auto(un)boxing
* Vararg methods
* Annotations (the editor still lives without annotations apart from
@SuppressWarnings, @Override and @Deprecation, but this might change)
* Static Import (okay this one is only to get a complete list, I could live
without static imports)
* XML DOM Level 3 including XInclude, DOM Level 3 L+S, XML Schema (both, WXS
and RELAX) and Bootstrapping

This list definitely is incomplete.

The numbers of developers working on such projects already is small enough.
That's why I suggested rejoining our editor development efforts. The new
features save development time at several stages: writing code, debugging and
maintenance.

I will NOT port back anything to a Java version prior to 1.5. We (devs) are
trying to make our software useful for the users, but we can also expect that
users make our life easier by supporting our (developer's) needs, and for
Java this is upgrading to a newer VM - at least, if supporting our needs is,
apart from downloading something and some time and effort to install it, free
of any costs. You don't need to buy new hardware for running Java 5.0 instead
of 1.4.2.

Besides, for a Java 5.0 that's not from SUN, look at
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/download.html
(I assume you use Linux or an operating system capable of executing
Linux-ELF).

Cher
--
Christian Hujer