[crossfire] RFC: gtk client with gtk2

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Feb 20 23:38:22 CST 2006

Anton Oussik wrote:
> On 09/02/06, Andreas Kirschbaum <kirschbaum at myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> Lalo Martins wrote:
>>> I've been running the gtk client compiling with gtk2 for about 3
>>> months now; it works beautifully (better than with gtk1), sdl and all.
>>>
>>> The problems I know about seem to be:
>>>
>>> - SDL doesn't work for some people.  I couldn't find one of those people
>>> to comment, though.  It works for me.
>> If you cannot actually find somebody having these problems, I don't
>> think it should prevent you from applying the patch: if there really is
>> a problem, "those people" will (hopefully) complain and we can fix the
>> bug then.
>
> SDL in CVS gcfclient has been broken for me for a long time now,
> producing this crash when connecting to a server with SDL enabled:

  Well, I just tried gcfclient -sdl on my system, and had no problems - at least
not an immediate crash.

  That said, while unrelated to this particular topic, we should perhaps decide
on what graphic engine(s) to support.

  Does it really make sense to support both SDL & Opengl?  I know SDL is suppose
to be cross platform, but I'm not sure if the window ports/releases Ryo does
actually support SDL.

  And on my system, for whatever reason, SDL isn't really much faster than
native gtk drawing mode.  which is why I did the opengl port (which is a lot
faster than gtk or sdl modes).

  That said, for the bug in question, would probably be useful to know your
system type, as well options passed to gcfclient and your gdefaults file.