[crossfire] RFC: gtk client with gtk2

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Feb 20 23:49:38 CST 2006

Veli-Matti Valtonen wrote:
> On 2/10/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>>   There are already checks for gtk2 and the like for the gtk2 client - I'd think
>> those defines coudl be re-used.
>
> Yes, I totally agree, I'm not that profient in autoconf so I didn't
> want to around changing the gtk v2 autoconf code since it was rather
> well packed. I rather suspect it'll look rather messy by even autoconf
> standards nontheless, since it'll require two paths and one source
> tree.

  Actually, should be pretty simple - as said, all the checks for gtk2 are
already there, it is just a matter to use them in the gtkv1 client instead of
the gtkv1 libs.

  I think this basically amounts to replacing the $(GTK_...) with @PACKAGE_..@
in the Makefile.am in the gtk directory.

  One question would be what to do after this patch is in place - is it better
to link in with the gtkv2 libraries if they exist instead of the gtkv1?  If only
one set of libraries exist, then it makes sense to use what is available.  But
what to do if both are around?

  Handling this switching logic is marginally more difficult, but I can make the
modifications to do that.

> I've also been writing a scons based build system that does look quite
> a lot more elegant but doesn't really work properly yet. The whole
> install system is a bit broken at the moment. I'm sure there are
> people thinking: Oh not, not another build system, or aargh, yet
> another build dependency, or what ever you like. But it's compact,
> looks good (Can't think of anything that'd look worse than autoconf)
> and works, and this was rather done to see how a rather odd build
> setup would work on it. I'll possibly post it once I get the installer
> working.

  Well, for better or worse, autoconf/automake is fairly standard.  I know for
myself, it would be easier to update autoconf/automake than to use yet another
build system.

  It is also nice from a user standpoint - as a person that compiles a fair
amount of stuff from source, it is very convenient to be able to do './configure
<whatever options>' and have it do what I want.  It always bugs me a little when
I have to figure out some other build environment.