[crossfire] RFC: gtk client with gtk2

Veli-Matti Valtonen maligor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:30:33 CST 2006

On 2/10/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>   There are already checks for gtk2 and the like for the gtk2 client - I'd think
> those defines coudl be re-used.

Yes, I totally agree, I'm not that profient in autoconf so I didn't
want to around changing the gtk v2 autoconf code since it was rather
well packed. I rather suspect it'll look rather messy by even autoconf
standards nontheless, since it'll require two paths and one source
tree.

I've also been writing a scons based build system that does look quite
a lot more elegant but doesn't really work properly yet. The whole
install system is a bit broken at the moment. I'm sure there are
people thinking: Oh not, not another build system, or aargh, yet
another build dependency, or what ever you like. But it's compact,
looks good (Can't think of anything that'd look worse than autoconf)
and works, and this was rather done to see how a rather odd build
setup would work on it. I'll possibly post it once I get the installer
working.

>   One question I have is whether this removes the ability to compile the client
> with gtk1.  Granted, gtk1 is fairly out of date, but if this change requires
> people have gtk2, that probably needs to be pretty clearly stated.  IT may be
> reasonable to say we don't support gtk1 anymore.

Just like the win32 version of the gtk client, it uses code marked
BROKEN in gtk 2.0, which is hardly elegant. And it is broken, I've
found that the mouse scrollwheel will not work on the multiline text
widgets.

I tried porting this once when I originally wrote a patch for it
(which was never posted anywhere). The result was a rather messy
widget that didn't work quite right. I abandoned that project after
that.