[crossfire] Crossfire 2.0+ features/priorities

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jan 29 16:38:55 CST 2006

Yann Chachkoff wrote:

> - Friendlier client. The currently available clients are intimidating for
> newcomers: the cfclient looks rather primitive while gcfclient is crowded
> with options bars, icons and menus and leaves only a small patch in the
> middle to display the game playfield itself. I think that a friendlier design
> here that leaves more space for the game would make the game somewhat more
> immersive and enjoyable to play.

  I hope the gtkv2 client goes a little in that direction (the map display is at
least considerable.  However, I know there are issues regarding the minimum
window size it needs).

  One of the things that have been on my wishlist a long time is a better
character creation method.

  the current method of 'press keys to swap stats', 'press spacebar to cycle
through classes', 'move your now created character to choose a class', and then
heading to the nexus are all a little hokey.

  And for new players, probably a little frustrating - not knowing how the
race/class will affect your stats until you choose that previous piece, etc.

  Pretty much all games provide a screen for the player to choose this - arrange
stats, pull down option for race (which effects stats), pulldown for class
(which also effects stats), etc.  For stats, I'd probably suggest 4 colums in
fact - base stat, modifiers from race, modifiers from class, and final stat.

  One nice effect of this getting moved to the client is all that code currently
in the server that handles this could just go away.  As far of this, I'd also
suggest going with just a straight point system for stats (you get 180 points
for your stats to distribute, instead of rolling).  New code would have to be
added to the server to validate the final result (player didn't over spend
points, etc)