[crossfire] cfclient colouring (was: gcfclient options deathlist)

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:49:57 CST 2006

On 1/17/06, Brendan Lally <brenlally at gmail.com> wrote:
> (on) Colored Inventory Lists
> (on) Colored Information Text - maybe to be replaced by some future feature
> (off) Print Grid Overlay
> (on) Cache Images
> (on) splash window (gros' suggestion)

it has been two weeks since this list was first posted, I have
completed the first patch to take out the first two of these (coloured
inventory lists, and coloured text) I'm posting about this explicitly
here because to cleanly remove them has one side effect, and one
potentially controversial bugfix which is related to it.

The side-effect of this patch is to remove all special code in
cfclient for dealing with black and white monitors, it should cause
them to now try and display identically to a colour monitor, without
several extra hacks in various places.

The bugfix concerns the colours which cfclient uses to display itself.
All the colours gcfclient uses are from the 16 that are also sent by
the server as possible text colours (I haven't touched support for ega
graphics displays, they should still work fine). However, the colour
used by cfclient for its background - light green, is also used for
some dm-activity related commands by the server. This causes cfclient
to print these in the same colour as the background.

In order to resolve this, I changed the background colour to 9 (grey),
which is only used by one polymorph message, which can not be called
anyway.

I then adjusted the shade of grey to make the text stand out better.
The result can be seen at
http://cavetroll.uwcs.co.uk/cfclient-grey1.png

if it is felt that this new colouring is a bad move, it would be quite
possible to remap the colours assigned to various colour numbers -
likewise if it is felt that an alternative colour would be a better
choice.

In any case since this is a very obvious change in the look and feel
of cfclient I felt a message such as this to be necessary,