[crossfire] Crossfire 2.0+ features/priorities

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Jan 31 00:18:22 CST 2006

Brendan Lally wrote:
> On 1/30/06, Anton Oussik <antonoussik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another thing I can propose is to replace the listen level with
>> channels, and be able to toggle/redirect individual channels between
>> different tabs in the client.
>
> I had a working channels implemention, but the problem was that it was
> too complex to be really usable, and seemed too similar to the party
> code.
>
> hijacking colours in the draw_info packet to send meaningful data
> about the type of draw_info would be more reasonable
>
> Maybe also it would be an interesting idea to have a 'triggered'
> draw_info which would send back the packet number that caused them to
> be printed (this would involve storing the last packet number in the
> player struct, and sending it in the packet)

  Long on my wish list also was to change handling of messages (draw_info) to
change from color to tags that denote what the message pertains to.

  Eg, combat messages, listings (shop, who, etc), shout, talk, etc.  I think
there would probably be about a dozen different content types.

  The client could then have a pretty easy interface to say what to do with the
message (discard, print in window 1, window 2).  Also, let the player choose the
color/font for these.

  This adds some amount of complication to the client.  But a first pass is to
just update all the draw_info to use new flags.  A first pass on the client
would be something simple like 'shout - ok, these are red, and put in window 2'
- basically be hardcoded to how it works now, with the interface to follow,
since that is probably the harder part.