[crossfire] the scale of stats

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sat Jul 1 13:25:23 CDT 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:
> Alex Schultz wrote:
>
>> Well here's a new subject then :)
>> Hmm, from what I've heard here, and from players back when I was playing
>> more frequently, I would say that having stats go higher would be a good
>> thing. The issue really is if it is worth the effort of rescaling all of
>> the player stats, all of the item stats, and adjusting everything where
>> the code looks at the stats really. I personally think it would be a
>> good idea, however we would certainly need a detailed plan to address
>> those sorts of issues.
>>

>   Maybe for the 3.0 TODO list :)

Hmm, this tempts me to want, after 2.0 is released, to make a separate
3.0-dev branch in cvs, to allow for features on what will be the 3.0
todo list, that we don't want in 2.x, to be worked on. It might involve
a little effort, syncing changes from the 2.x tree to the 3.x tree, but
I don't think that would really be that bad, and is an extremely common
practice in larger projects with many more commits to handle.
>   If stats are redone, the bonuses should be changed so that they are linear and
> not exponentional like it is now (for example, something like .25 SP/power/level
> or the like).  Exact bonuses could be worked out later, but it shouldn't be
> exponential.

I would agree with you there.
>   But to my mind, there are several issues.

Same :)
>   IF we suppose the max stat is now 100, what are characters starting stats?
> Still in the 15±5 range?

Personally, I'm thinking more in the 20±14 range, including racial and
class bonuses, as a base before such bonuses, I'm thinking somewhere in
the 20±8 type of rage. Of course, I believe that the 15±5 as it is now
could very well be made to work.
>   How do racial maximums come in?  How can any character ever hope to get close
> to a 100 stat?

Personally, I don't think there should be a 'racial max' really, but
instead just have the races affect the chances of gaining stats due to
levels, as I mentioned in my previous message.
>   Do items now need to be adjusted?  a +3 Str item right now is pretty cool.
> Under a revised systems, that may not mean much.  And if the end result is that
> everything basically just get multipled by 3 (you now get +15 stat items, etc),
> you then have to look and say what was the benefit of doing all of that.

Personally, I'm thinking that multiplying existing item stats by about
3x or 4x would work decently if the max was made about 100, though
perhaps certain items may merit exceptions and need a value a little
different than that.
Also, weapon stat enchantment scrolls would need adjustment, and
personally I think the way to do that, would be by making them improve
the stat by a randomized amount, something like 2±2 or so.
>   I think it only make sense if it is tied in with some new form of stat
> improvement.
Yes, such as the gaining stats with levels as I mentioned in my previous
post, or something else perhaps. In any case, I do feel that a different
form of stat improvement than currently is needed anyways, as currently,
people just get their racial max extremely quickly with potions, and I'm
not sure I like the concept of racial max in it's current form anyways.

Alex Schultz