[crossfire] the scale of stats

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Jul 1 12:27:09 CDT 2006

Alex Schultz wrote:
>> It might not be solvable without a lot of work, but I really think
>> adding a zero to the max stat would make a huge difference. That would
>> as well allow a change of the effects stats have. Now the difference
>> between 29 and 30 is incredibly big. It seems to be exponential, which
>> doesn't make much sense IMO. I think the difference between n and n+1
>> should become smaller and smaller (now it's bigger and bigger)
>> (Anyway, this is quite a distinct discussion)
> Well here's a new subject then :)
> Hmm, from what I've heard here, and from players back when I was playing
> more frequently, I would say that having stats go higher would be a good
> thing. The issue really is if it is worth the effort of rescaling all of
> the player stats, all of the item stats, and adjusting everything where
> the code looks at the stats really. I personally think it would be a
> good idea, however we would certainly need a detailed plan to address
> those sorts of issues.

  Maybe for the 3.0 TODO list :)

  If stats are redone, the bonuses should be changed so that they are linear and
not exponentional like it is now (for example, something like .25 SP/power/level
or the like).  Exact bonuses could be worked out later, but it shouldn't be
exponential.

  But to my mind, there are several issues.

  IF we suppose the max stat is now 100, what are characters starting stats?
Still in the 15±5 range?

  How do racial maximums come in?  How can any character ever hope to get close
to a 100 stat?

  Do items now need to be adjusted?  a +3 Str item right now is pretty cool.
Under a revised systems, that may not mean much.  And if the end result is that
everything basically just get multipled by 3 (you now get +15 stat items, etc),
you then have to look and say what was the benefit of doing all of that.

  I think it only make sense if it is tied in with some new form of stat
improvement.