[crossfire] player character creation/login redo.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jul 2 13:51:04 CDT 2006

tchize wrote:

> You are still mixing at protocol level the player login and the
> player  creation, this is wrong. If a player want to create a
> character, he clicks on a new character button. He doesn't have to
> enter user/password before. At protocol level, when player wants to
> create a new character, the client request from server the list if
> class and stats with description and modifiers. The player then
> selects what he wants.

  That is a good point.  At login, have a few options - log in, or create new
character.

  After creating the new character, the server can then validate if the name is
in use, and if so, send an error to the client telling it to come up with a new
name.

> Also, player should not be forved to choose a class, he should be
> presented with the option to choose 3 skills instead. (not all game
> skills should be available like that!)

  I'd put this in the 'advanced' character creation or something like that.

  I think if that is done, the skills probably need to be put in categories.
And in some cases, some tied together perhaps (you should get both 1 handed and
2 handed weapons?)

  I'd sort of defer this until the discussion about redoing skills is done, as
what should probably really happen is something like 1 or 2 skills at best
level, 2 or 3 at medium level, and maybe 3-4 are low level.

  And there are probably some skills that everyone should get at a low level -
punching, praying?  Maybe some others?

  In any case, I still think that providing classes might still be a good idea
(maybe reduce the number quite a bit) for new players as a quick creation method
as well as knowing you can get a character that is playable.  Otherwise, you
could get new players that don't choose good skills, and have an unplayable
character, and say 'this game sucks'.

  Also, under such a 'choose skill' method, starting items has to get redone
some - if you choose pyromancy, you should get at least one pyromancy spell, right?