[crossfire] Metaserver reporting and accuracy

Tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Wed Jul 12 02:06:56 CDT 2006

Andrew Fuchs wrote:

> Would be easier to manage (on both sides) by having a "permanent" flag
> sent to the metaserver, that has to be explicitly set in the server
> config.
Just a though:
metaserver entries of 'permanent' server should, at least partially, be
stored in a config file of metaserver.

For example, if I create a server named "Lands of  magic", i don't want
someone to configure his own personal server with the same name and fool
the players. Permanent servers should have reserved names in metaserver.
Also, metaserver should have a way to ensure the given connection ip is
the one from which the metaserver entries are sent (currently it's only
a matter of sending an udp packet and so metaserver could be overflowed
by fake entries with random ips)