[crossfire] 2.0 release, was Re: Code restructuring

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Sat Jul 22 11:28:19 CDT 2006

Andrew Fuchs wrote:
> Finally, i just want to note that our next release could be 1.10.0
> instead of 2.0 if we need more time for cf2.0.
And that is something I strongly believe should be the case. I
personally do not believe that we are ready for 2.0 for a while (I'm
thinking about 6 months or so if not a little more), and I believe in
the meantime that we should do at least one release such as 1.10.0.
However I believe the point of another release between 2.0 and now to
gain more time, is fairly moot unless people can work on 2.0 in cvs
starting fairly soon, hence, I believe that the best solution would be
to create create a new cvs branch for working on 1.10.0, and then work
on 2.0 things in the main branch. In terms of debate between making a
branch for each major version, or each minor version, I personally don't
have much preference on, but I feel that a branch of some sort is
needed. Also, I believe the type of code restructure I mentioned a
little earlier on the mailing list, should be something to target for
2.0, though I personally wait about a month to start work on it to allow
people to get used to usage of the branches and possibly to apply
pending patches that have been lying around for a while already.

Alex Schultz