[crossfire] blasphemy, vulgarities etc.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Jul 30 00:52:36 CDT 2006

Alex Schultz wrote:
> Andrew Fuchs wrote:
>> - no/minimal anti women's rights material allowed in the game (see mikeeusa)
>>   - the "14 year old wife" in mlab was questionably offensive,
>> inappropriate for the game
> One note on that, not just anti-woman's-rights content, but things
> likely to offend a group in general. Also, IMHO there should be a bit of
> leeway for cultures in the crossfire world to have customs that wouldn't
> be considered acceptable in the real world. I would personally consider
> it fine for a culture in the crossfire world to use slave labor, however
> I would not consider it fine if map content tried to tell the player
> that slave labor is morally right.
> That said, that is just my opinion on the topic.

  This is of course a complicated issue, because what is offensive varies.

  IIRC, there are some maps out there that have naked dancing girls.  Should
some minimum amount of clothing be put on them?

  And in the case of slave labor, while that itself could be fine, it would
probably be questionable if the slaves were black people or something.

  That said, quick rundown of thoughts:

- Offensive language/words should not be used.  There are not many words that
fall into this category anymore.

- Political statements should not be made (this definition could be pretty hard
to really define).

- Using american MPAA rules, game probably shouldn't be any worse than PG-13, so
explicit sexual conduct would probably be out (prostitution,  etc).

  However, probably be best way is if someone finds something offensive, they
report it and we discuss it to consider if it is appropriate or not.