[crossfire] mapcmd bye bye.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Mar 13 00:35:08 CST 2006

  Anyone have any issues for removing the original mapcmd protocol command?

  the map1/map1a commands will remain.

  Client version 1.1.0 introduced support for the Map1 command.  So I can't
really see it breaking anything.

  Due to changes needed for the map2 command, this will require some amount of
updating for the map1 command.  I just can't see much reason why the mapcmd is
needed anymore, but thought I'd throw the question out there in case someone is
aware of some issue.

  Probably the way to handle this is for the server to check after negotiation
that at least the client has negotiated at least to the map1 command, and if
not, print out an error and close the connection (error message along hte lines
like your client is too old, update).

  The one issue where this could perhaps be an issue for any bots out there that
just ignore the map data, and thus don't bother to negotiate a map version in
the setup parameters.  So maybe this message should be considered more a heads
up to those people with bots to make sure it is at least negotiating a map1
protocol level?