[crossfire] [Re]Player Owned Shops

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Mar 19 22:12:58 CST 2006

  Could a little more detail on this process be given?  Looking over the patch
to see how it works leaves me with a few questions.

  It seems to me that the patch in question lets the owner set whatever price,
but doesn't actually pay the player who sold it anything?  Is the correct?  If
so, it then seems like something is missing.  Unless the idea is to somehow tie
it some field in the map itself (store room with all the money in it)?

  But this does lead me to an interesting idea - consignment shop.  Players go
in and say how much they want to sell stuff for, just like the sample code
provided.  However, as part of that, we also record the player selling the item.
  Then if anyone does buy it, the player gets the money (I seem to recall that
at some point, sending objects via the post office system was possible.
However, another idea is to make a moneygram object - basically, just like a
normal letter, but something like 'take this to any store to redeem for coins',
and the code just sets the value for the moneygram (it should also perhaps be of
type gem so charisma doesn't affect the price you get for it).

  The shop should of course take a percentage off the top for the transaction.
Also, perhaps record when the object was sold, and objects that have been around
too long get sent back to the player.

  This has the interesting effect that the player trying to sell the objects
doesn't get anything until they are actually sold.  So he has incentive to set a
reasonable price.  Also, because of that, less reason to put them in the shop vs
taking the immediate price selling in a shop unless you are really getting
shafted on prices - thus, not likely to see people selling junk.