[crossfire] SVN?

Tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Tue Mar 21 03:45:01 CST 2006

+1 for switch to svn

I have used svn here, i find it ways more usefull then CVS to
manipulate. Getting a specific version of repository is easier, you have
revision history not only on files but also on directory. You can attach
metadatas on a document, leaving informations there for others. Also,
revision history covers the whole repository, making it a complete set,
while in cvs each file had his own version (to get a specific state of
cvs you had to guess somehow a date you wanted to go, in svn you read
the version number of offending commit and you checkoout version-1 of
repository). On the point of merging / branching problem, may i point
out we never branched / merged in crossfire history? But to me, the most
importants assets of SVN are:

- command line as easy as CVS one for checkouts/commit and very similar,
only repository location changes (enough for most devels to easily use it)
- tracking of rename / move / deletions (this is, i think what prevented
us in the past various reorganisations of code)
- svn commits are done in transaction (This is an important point with
sf because due to load on sf, the cvs connections are regulary timed
out, leaving the CVS in an undetermined stated where not all files get
commited)
- revisions, tags and branches are easily accessible from a webbrowser.
(in viewCVS you needed to go to each file an select a specific version
if you wanted to explore a previous state of CVS)

Please also note the 'limitations' in sf page also apply to cvs (case
sensitivity, restricted file names, permanent removal)
As of speed of svn, it is due to transactionnal layer, it shouldn't
affect us very much, we don't have hundreds of devel attempting
concurrent commits :)

I am gald to see sf finally decided to offer svn support, but i wonder
since how long they do provide it, maybe it is worth waiting a bit for
sf to fix any issue that can arise from their svn configurations.

Regards,
Tchize