[crossfire] [Re]Player Owned Shops

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Mar 22 01:54:18 CST 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 10:24:36PM +0100, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>> A simple ring of halvor requires level around 10 and a ring of free
>>> action requires around level 15 and ring of combat level 20.
>>> But when i'm level 10, 15 or 20 at jewelery i always have already found
>>> quite many of those rings... IMHO it's too difficult or too much hassle
>>> to make those.
>> Don't forget the ingredients. Must (all?) are really rare, thus it's
>> easier to buy a potion.
>>

> Yes! Thats also what i meant. IMHO at the current state,
> all cauldron-skills except alchemistry (and alchemistry partially also)
> are only good for identifying.

  One thought that was expressed, but I don't ever think developed, was to have
these naturally occuring ingredients actually show up in the wild.

  Thus, on the world map, in the right places, you could find the various
vegetation.

  Likewise, in dungeons, there would be some means of of digging for the raw
elements.

  This doesn't completely fix the problem, but finding the basic ingredients
should probably be a lot easier than it is now.

> Maybe it would be enough to make the formulars easier and make
> it 'harder' in means of randomness to make something.
> For example: you put in 1 large gold nugget, 2 emeralds (yes, not
> exceptional emeralds) and only a success rate of 1/10 or something like
> this... but this is just a random idea. not sure if this is also
> senseless.

  I think one problem is that if you play honestly, finding all the recipes
within the game is pretty darn hard.  Even finding basic recipes seems pretty
hard.  One fix might be to increase the amount of readable books that show up a
bit (you can do 20 levels of a dungeon and only get a few recipe books).

  One other problem, which I think was discussed, is that the formulae file only
has a basic 'diff' field to denote difficulty.  These really should perhaps be
broken out a bit, like:

success_chance: base chances of success, in percentage
success_increase: % increase/level above min_level your success goes up.
min_level: minimum level you need to be to have any chance of success

  Thus, you could have formula set up that requires you to be at least 5th
level, but once there, you can have a pretty good chance of success.  Or you
could set up formula that even at 20th level, your chance is pretty low, and it
doesn't go up very fast.

  That could also make adjustment of the formula better.