[crossfire] [Re]Player Owned Shops

Andrew Fuchs fuchs.andy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 14:27:55 CST 2006

On 3/22/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>   One thought that was expressed, but I don't ever think developed, was to have
> these naturally occuring ingredients actually show up in the wild.
>
>   Thus, on the world map, in the right places, you could find the various
> vegetation.
>
>   Likewise, in dungeons, there would be some means of of digging for the raw
> elements.
>
>   This doesn't completely fix the problem, but finding the basic ingredients
> should probably be a lot easier than it is now.

There is something like this in the weather code i think.  (yet an
other reason to fix it)  As for in dungeons, new code will be needed,
or maps would have to be modified, so some walls can be destroyed by a
mining tool of some sort.

>   I think one problem is that if you play honestly, finding all the recipes
> within the game is pretty darn hard.  Even finding basic recipes seems pretty
> hard.  One fix might be to increase the amount of readable books that show up a
> bit (you can do 20 levels of a dungeon and only get a few recipe books).
>
>   One other problem, which I think was discussed, is that the formulae file only
> has a basic 'diff' field to denote difficulty.  These really should perhaps be
> broken out a bit, like:
>
> success_chance: base chances of success, in percentage
> success_increase: % increase/level above min_level your success goes up.
> min_level: minimum level you need to be to have any chance of success
>
>   Thus, you could have formula set up that requires you to be at least 5th
> level, but once there, you can have a pretty good chance of success.  Or you
> could set up formula that even at 20th level, your chance is pretty low, and it
> doesn't go up very fast.
>
>   That could also make adjustment of the formula better.

Two words: Dynamic Alchemy...

If a quest should be required to create an object, the quest should
probably include a rare ingredient or tool that is required to make
the formulae.  For example; a extremely rare metal ore, a spoon that
doesn't melt or disolve when used to make some type of potion, or
posibly a rare metal that is used to make a special tool used for a
few recipies.

--
Andrew Fuchs