[crossfire] SVN?

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed Mar 22 08:26:38 CST 2006

Mark Wedel wrote:

>  In terms of branching, as mentioned, I'm usually the one most hit by this.
>But to me, the real show stopper here is ability to have a nice merge
>functionality.  CVS isn't that great - if the there are no conflicts, no
>problem, but if there are, CVS just brackets the code where there is an issue,
>leaving you to fix it in your favorite editor.  I don't know if SVN is any
>better.  Some other products I have seen do have a nice GUI, letting one select
>which line/block to take.  I think there are graphical CVS tools, so maybe they
>do something similar.

 From what I can see, SVN is on par with this. It does it slightly
differently, but not really any easier looking or harder looking.

>  But the real problems with branches is that I don't think there are currently
>enough people using crossfire that a branch gets much usage.  One idea tossed
>out was to put experimental code in the branch, but if no one uses the branch,
>doesn't do much good.

Well, SVN does have a significant advantage here. From what I can see,
it is very easy, by either using SVN, or svn-mirror, to have a local
mirror of the SVN tree on your computer, that you can use as a 'local
branch'. That also has the advantage that within your local branch, you
could revert little changes very easily if you were committing to your
local branch step by step. The whole time you can have it sync with the
main SVN server, and eventually merge your changes back to the main svn
server (preserving the individual commits). IMHO, using SVK or
svn-mirror, syncing with a sourceforge svn server, would solve such
branching issues very nicely without cluttering the remote server.

>  One complaint I do have with CVS, and I don't know if SVN is better, is that
>CVS will bring back code I delete.
>
>  Say for example I'm editing a file, and remove the function foo() as well as
>make some other changes.  Someone else makes some change to the file and
>commits.  I do a cvs update, and foo() is now back in my file - even though no
>where along the process were any changes made to foo() itself.  So then I have
>to go and delete again.  Branches may make that a little cleaner.

Not sure if SVN is any better either, though the branching as I was
talking about above could possibly help.

Alex Schultz