[crossfire] [Re] Jeweler skill

Alberto Sáez Lodeiros cerzeo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 05:04:42 CST 2006

The jeweler skill can be use for some things like those:

1.- More Jeweler skill will allow the player to modify  more powerfull
rings/amulets

2.- The player can fail to apply the modification. With more Jeweler skill,
the player will fail less. To fail a modification can destroy or make a
cursed/bad ring/amulet

3.- If the player needs some "ingredients" to modify a ring, for example
[Ring+30Acid] + [Scroll of Resist Fire] + [10 Saphires] =
[Ring+30Acid+10Fire], then, with more skill at Jeweler, you will need less
Sapphires

4.- Initially, you can only make simple rings. This is, you can only modify
rings in one aspect, for example, only adding one ressitance, +1 STR,
etc..., but if you level up, you will be allowed to make more complex
modifications, for expample, adding more than one resistance plus two or
more Stats or all you want.
*
And all this gives me a cool idea, but i dont know if its implementation is
hard or not.
The idea is based on wands/rods/staffs. There can be objects with spells
imbued on them, for example, a ring with the "Holy Word" inside. Then, the
player will be allowed to cast "Holy Word" and s/he dont need the praying
skill, just need a determinated level of "Use Magic Object". Of course, the
spell on the ring is infinite: The player will drain his/her mana or grace.

Jewelers can make those rings. For example: [Ring(int+1)] +[ [Scroll of
Imbuing] OR [Potion of Improvement] ] +  [Scroll of Banishment (lvl 30)] +
[160 diamonds] = Ring(int+1) of Banishment(lvl 30).
I will explain how i tell 160 diamonds: If the ring has one or more skills
[int+1; speed+2, resist slow +20, etc...), we will need 10 diamonds for each
such "skill", in this example, we only need 10. Then, for each level of the
imbued spell (in this case 30 levels of Banishment), we will need 5
aditional, so here, we will need 5*30 diamonds. Then, the total diamonds
will be "10 + 5*30" diamonds.
But the thing is not so easy. Not all jewelers will be able to do this. You
will need some aditional skills, imbuing spells. You will need a literacy
and transcription skill at half level that the inbued spell is. It is
suposed that you have to READ and WRITE the magical runes from the scroll to
the ring or amulet. In this case, you will need a certain level of yewelry
and level 15 literacy and 15 transcription.
This will made the item much balanced, because the jeweler will need many
diamonds to make powerfull rings, an high literacy skill and transcription,
maybe an high jeweler skill and a "Scroll of Imbuing", who can be a
semi-rare object (or it costs much in shops).