[crossfire] Jeweler skill

Wim Villerius wim-cf at villerius.nl
Fri Mar 24 05:09:23 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 11:15 +0100, Tchize wrote:
> Be carefull with this, you probably want to check the weapon
> improvement code. To increase from nothing to str+1, you not only need
> str potion (3*aimed level if i remember well?) but you have to prepare
> the weapon by sacrificing a good amount of diamonds.
> I like the idea of creating ring, but your suggested costs if far too
> small considering the power you have when you create the ring!
2*number of stat enchantment, so to make a weapon str+3, one needs 2+4+6
= 12 potions of strength. Adding also a con requires 8 potions of
constitution.
These numbers of potions are easily found by any sufficient high lvl
player, allowing him to create weapons much better than artifact
weapons!
The same will apply for rings, I fear.

> Also, rings amulets and improved weapons are a good way to ge over the
> race limitation on characteristic. If you make it too easy to create
> improved rings, like ring (str+3)(for+3)(wis+3)(resist paralysis
> +100)(resist fire +100)(resist cold +100) (resist electricity+100)
Currently, this is also possible with weapons - except that resistances
cannot be added to weapons.
Having a method that allows one to create items that have +100
resistance against something would likely upset some others on this
list, even if it would take 100 potions of resist something.

> creating ring bringing XP? That's discussable, that mean in the end,
> the xp can be bought :/ (buy rings, ingredients, modify some rings,
> you got XP without getting in danger...). But that could be ok,
> considering you can also do that reading books...
And by buying alchemy ingredients and idetifying these. Or by summoning
water and creating water of the wise or ... etc. There are many
possibilities to gain XP (and even a huge lot of XP) without being in
danger.
It only requires money (and sometimes lots of money) to do so.

> Robin Redeker wrote:
> >today i've had some ideas about the jeweler skill: What if a jeweler
> >could _change_ existing rings. For example he could improve a ring
> >(resist acid+12) in to a ring (resist acid+30) or even acid+50? (not
> >sure about this, does it break balancing?).
You guys should read the messageboard ;) There have been many idea's
about enhancing alchemy. The general consensus (there) is that alchemy
currently is pretty boring.

Perhaps it is worth considering if it is better to redo alchemy in
general. That would include jewelery, but smithery, ... as well.
If there is a general solution, it perhaps is less time consuming to
revise alchemy in general and not only one skill.
In the past (over a year ago) I've been writing a message containing a
proposal - but this has never been sent. In fact, it is still in my
draft box. I might even send it when requested (or even when not
requested)

Wim Villerius