[crossfire] Jeweler skill

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Mar 26 19:16:39 CST 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:

> I've discussed now a different approach. First, i think you were right
> with 95% max resistancy. Thats indeed reasonable.  But what about
> resistancies like paralyze, slow, drain, depletion?  Couldn't there be
> +100 allowed?

  Yes, 100% could be allowed for those.

> But another idea came in discussion with someone else:
>
> As the problem with these creating-skills is, that items in crossfire
> stay until the player enters quit and his appartment and his inventory
> is deleted, or he drops the item on a map which gets resetted.
>
> So with the jeweler skill in place the flood of god-like-rings has to be
> prevented. (Also smithery has similar problem propably? What about
>       weapon improvement?)

  Weapon improvement doesn't really have this same problem, because the weapon
is tied to the person that improves it (it is renamed).  So yes, a high level
player could have 20 really cool weapons, but he couldn't give them to others to
use, as they would be unable to use them.

> What if rings would wear off with time. Then one has to use the jeweler
> skill to fix their rings. And then no rare items are needed to prevent
> the game from overflowing of powerful rings.
>
> This would also put the piles of money in the player appartments to
> more use.

  This idea has in general been discussed in the past for just normal objects
(objects get damaged over time, needing repair).  IIRC, while it seems like a
good way to use money, there was some concern that this would just make things
bothersome to maintain.  However, if players are making the rings, I suppose it
is reasonable that they could break down over time.

>>   But the real point is figure that in not too long a time, there will be high
>> level jewelers, armorers, etc, about.  And if they can make suprerior items than
>> what is out there, they will do so.
>
> Out there are rings with +100.

  But there shouldn't be rings that reduce the effects of damage, only the
effect type rings.