[crossfire] Jeweler skill

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sat Mar 25 01:06:27 CST 2006

  My personal thoughts would be something like this:

  Some combination of ingredients allows you to attempt to improve a ring.  Some
of the ingredients should be rare, as otherwise you'll just have pile of
powerful rings.

  You can only increase on step at a time (+1 stat, +3% resistance, etc).  You
can't go from a ring fire res +10 to ring fire rest +30 in one step - it would
take many.  this also increases cost a bit.  IMO, just require 1 potion with
many rubies (or other gems) with the gems being how much it is improved is way
too weak.  Even moderate level (~15) players have hundreds, perhaps thousands,
of gems, or can get them easily.  IF gems are going to be the increase factor,
they probably need to be the extraordinary value/flawless beauty type.

  Each time you increase the object, the item_power goes up (maybe give 5%
resistance improvement, with a cap at 50% or 75%?)

  Success chance should probably be based on current item power, or what you are
enchanting it to.

  I know as a player, I often find those resistance potions and don't have much
use for them.  Being able to use one to increase an items protection by 5% would
be cool in terms of having some use.

  It may make sense to unify all the improvement code, so the same rules apply
to weapons as it does for rings, armor, etc.  That said, only certainly things
could be done to weapons, only certain things to armor, etc

  another random thought - could be interesting to have something (100 gems of
flawless beauty or other really high price) that would let a player decrease
item power by 1 for an object?  Expensive enough that it would actually be cause
for players to spend gobs of money.  Thus, long term, really rich players, could
really have the best objects in the game (I have my +75
fire/cold/electricity/etc ring).