[crossfire] Jeweler skill

Robin Redeker elmex at ta-sa.org
Fri Mar 24 05:08:04 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:15:02AM +0100, Tchize wrote:
> You can also make a difficulty roll on the skill based on skill level,
> with the risk to badly alter the ring if failed.

Yes, propably making the improvement the opposite... if you wanted to
make a resist fire + 30 ring, you propably get a resist fire +10 or -20
ring...

> I like the idea of creating ring, but your suggested costs if far too
> small considering the power you have when you create the ring!

Yes, the costs of many resistancies should propably some exp-function...
Eg. 1 emerald for resist + 1, 2 emerald for +2, 4 for +4 ...
The function propably could be x^1.5.

> Also, rings amulets and improved weapons are a good way to ge over the
> race limitation on characteristic. If you make it too easy to create
> improved rings, like ring (str+3)(for+3)(wis+3)(resist paralysis
> +100)(resist fire +100)(resist cold +100) (resist electricity+100)

I thought about calculating the difficulty to make such a ring similar
or by the item_power. Such a ring would have item_power +50 or
something. So it should take level 25 or 50 jeweler to alter such a ring
(at least). But it should be possible to do such a ring. One has to have
a high enough level anyways to wear such an item (because of
      item_power).

> creating ring bringing XP? That's discussable, that mean in the end, the
> xp can be bought :/ (buy rings, ingredients, modify some rings, you got
> XP without getting in danger...). But that could be ok, considering you
> can also do that reading books...

And identifying stuff with jeweler,smithery and all. But i don't see
where exp should come from in skills like smithery or jeweler, when not
from creating things (or identifying them).

In context of experience-rings: I've even once thought of a ring that
alters the amount of gained experience... eg. you get 10% more exp with
a ring :) But such an item is propably not a very good in concern to
balancing.

Robin

elmex at ta-sa.org / robin at nethype.de / r.redeker at gmail.com
Robin Redeker