[crossfire] JCrossfire and Web playing

Alberto Sáez Lodeiros cerzeo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 09:59:58 CST 2006

Hi all :D

Some months ago, I have discovered a source-port for Quake2 in JAVA. This is
called Jake2.
You can see the web page here: http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html

Then, you will ask...Quake2 on JAVA, maybe cool...but what is matter? The
cool thing is that you can play Quake2 using your web browser, if it has JWS
(Java Web Start) installed and supported. Also needed JRE 1.4. I have see
also a port of crossfire, using JAVA, then, a cool idea, can be to play CF
over the web browser, usin also JWS. This can allow to play CF without any
installation, compilation or so on, or maybe, players who can't download
software fron the web, to play Crossfire. For example, from a University,
from the job, and more.

I have tested the Jake2, and he goes at same speed than normal Quake2 (using
Linux).

Also, JCrossfire is more playable over windows than the GTK version (i have
tested gcfclient on windows, and it is really slow) But the very best of
JCrossfire over the browser is that the user will be playing the last
version released of JCrossfire.