[crossfire] JCrossfire and Web playing

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 10:57:56 CST 2006

On 3/27/06, Alberto Sáez Lodeiros <cerzeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Then, you will ask...Quake2 on JAVA, maybe cool...but what is matter? The
> cool thing is that you can play Quake2 using your web browser, if it has JWS
> (Java Web Start) installed and supported. Also needed JRE 1.4. I have see
> also a port of crossfire, using JAVA, then, a cool idea, can be to play CF
> over the web browser, usin also JWS. This can allow to play CF without any
> installation, compilation or so on, or maybe, players who can't download
> software fron the web, to play Crossfire. For example, from a University,
> from the job, and more.
>
>  I have tested the Jake2, and he goes at same speed than normal Quake2
> (using Linux).
>
>  Also, JCrossfire is more playable over windows than the GTK version (i have
> tested gcfclient on windows, and it is really slow) But the very best of
> JCrossfire over the browser is that the user will be playing the last
> version released of JCrossfire.

I'm not altogether sure what you mean by JCrossfire, there is
jcrossclient, which is the java AWT client that I took over from Phil
Brown, and jxclient which is a java+openGL one (or something like
that) which is in crossfire CVS and primarily (exclusively?) developed
by gros.

In anycase, experimental Java WebStart scripts exist for both of them,
gros is the person who actually understands it (and indeed helped me
hack one for jcrossclient)

In the case of jxclient, no public release has yet been made, so all
JWS scripts are ad hoc ones for testing.
In the case of jcrossclient, I didn't have the binaries from the
previous release signed (or some such detail) so it didn't work
nicely, and I didn't want to re-release the binary just for that.

I can't comment on when gros thinks that jxclient will be in a state
suitable for a stable JWS script, he will have to tell you that
himself, for my part, jcrossclient /may/ have one for the next
release, if I remember in time and find a sufficiantly
straight-forward howto. :)