[crossfire] Backup(?) CVS via darcs

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Wed May 3 23:59:28 CDT 2006

I've been thinking about this a bit, and IMHO, switching to anything but
CVS would be an improvement, and that switching would be good for the
long term, not just for backup. For one, just about any other version
control system allows local branches of the code easier which would be
helpful for working on larger features, and also if we don't use
sourceforge we will be free from various limitations Here is my opinion
of Darcs as well as some other alternatives to CVS:

SVN:
Rather nice and mature, and a very easy learning curve from CVS. It has
the "advantage" that we could stick with sourceforge for version
control, however that could easily have the same uptime issues as SF CVS
some time down the road.

Darcs:
Like SVN, also seems to good mature one. I don't know much about it but
it looks like it might be nicer than either SVN or CVS in many ways. It
would however have a little bit of a steeper learning curve from cvs
users, but personally I'm *very* willing to learn it (in fact, I've been
planing to eventually some time anyways).

Bazaar-ng:
I've tried this python based one a bit, and it seems very nice with good
features, except two major issues that make it IMHO *not* suitable for
crossfire: Not very mature of an API and featureset, and also from what
I understand doesn't work on win32. It is however the best one I've seen
in terms of ease of making local branches.

Also, as a general note, I believe that in any of these cases, we should
sync back to SF cvs, because for when that is up, it would be an easier
place to get development versions from than darcs, as common users
generally wouldn't install darcs just for downloading the latest
development version of crossfire, or it would also be possible set the
darcs server to build tarballs on a nightly basis, however this wouldn't
give non-developers a way to see the revision logs and such via the
command line, however I'm not sure how important this is.

Alex Schultz