[crossfire] Create earth wall / earth to dust issue

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 8 01:59:33 CDT 2006

Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 10:50:09AM +0200, Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
>> * earth to dust fails because no object with move_block is on the spot. This
>> is because earth wall that was created has no move_block set - wall is alive,
>> thus player/monsters can't get on it. I'm not totally sure what's the best
>> way to fix that. Maybe spell should have a move_block set?
>
> I noticed that earthwalls changed, so that the monsters can attack you through
> it. I wasn't aware of the way the earthwalls were changed, now that i
> see how, i'm confused about that hack.

  That is probably because move_block is not set on the walls.  The attack
doesn't see anything that stops it, so it keeps going (I'm presuming we're
talking arrows and spells here).

> IMHO earthwalls should keep a distance between you and the monsters.
> The change in the earthwalls made the monsters attack you through the
> earthwall, as if they could see you.
> But, if they can see you, you should also be able to see them
> (at least that would be consistent and logic).
> This should be fixed IMHO.

  As Alex states, monsters use a bit different sight logic.  More on that in his
message.

> I don't know whether move_block implies blocksview, but it shouldn't
> if it does. And if it doesnt imply blocksview, earthwalls should be
> something like this:
>
>    blocksview 0
>    move_block all

  move block and blocksview are not tied to anything. You can have a wall that
blocks you from seeing through it, but does not block movement.   Likewise, you
can have a wall that you can see through, but can't move through (the walls
separating the entry area from the shop area of the scorn shops is an example of
that).

  I think the real fix here is to make it so that the earthwalls block movement.
  that sort of fixes the problem - the monsters still know where you are, but
can't get to you through the earthwall.