[crossfire] Backup(?) CVS via darcs

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon May 8 02:18:26 CDT 2006

  To me, there are perhaps two issues, which may or may not be related:

1) Ability to have multiple repositories on stable systems.

2) What source control tool to use.

  Right now, and probably with any source control tool, multiple _read only_
repositories could be done.  In CVS, this would basically be setting up a CVS
repository, and have that repository pull (sync) the data from the main
repository on an hour or nightly basis (for crossfire, nightly is probably
sufficient).   The disadvantage here is that it means if you pulled your copy
out of some mirror, and then later want to commit some code back to the
read/write repository, you have to jump through some hoops.  However, I'm not
sure how often that happens (I'd expect developers to always stick to using the
main repository, so it would really be the case of a non developer getting
developer access).

  The second question is what is the best source control software to use for
crossfire.  If it has distributedness on top of that, that could be nice, but
I'd think it is more important to look for the features we want.

  I say that in that I don't think crossfire would pound a CVS (or whatever
repository server) so much to actually need/require multiple instances.  The
issue really is that sourceforge just isn't really stable (you get what you pay
for I suppose).  If sourceforge had 99.99% uptime, I don't think there would be
any real issues relative to crossfire for needing a distributed server environment.

  But that does sort of lead to other questions.  Right now, as far as I know,
soruceforge only supports CVS and SVN.  any other source system would require
external hosting and/or a bridge mechanism to CVS.

  My personal thought is I'd much rather have whatever people commit code to be
the main repository, and everything else, including sourceforge CVS, to be a
read-only (from user perspective) mirror of that - it seems that have several
potential read/write repositories would be a conflict waiting to happen.