[crossfire] On item perspective and monster size

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun May 28 12:08:15 CDT 2006

Hello.

Unless I'm totally blind, current items's perspective is:
* straight top-down view for ground, shop tiles, and such
* top-down view with an angle, maybe around 30 or 45° (so the "bottom" is
closed for user than the "top"), for walls, monsters, buildings, and many
things
* either top, with (books) or without perspective or side view for other items
(equipment, shields, ...)

If this isn't totally wrong, I think some monsters have a strange size. For
instance, a red dragon is 3 tiles horizontal and 2 vertical, for an east- or
west-looking pic. Accordingly, the north- or south-looking pic should be the
same 3x2 size (unless the code supports different pic sizes for different
directions, something I seriously doubt), and the monster will look quite
certainly squished.
So shouldn't the dragon (and many other monsters) be rather 3x3, or 2x3?

Of course, that would mean changing many maps :)

What do you think?

Nicolas