[crossfire] Removal of output-count/output-sync from server

Brendan Lally brenlally at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 19:44:47 CDT 2006

On 10/7/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
>   One area that could use cleanup IMO is the output buffer handling in the server.

>   One question is whether it makes sense to put that code into the client.
> Given that both GTK clients have multiple panes for messages, and the only thing
> that really benefits from this combinining messages is the attack messages, the
> amount of benefit isn't as great.  Plus, since the attack messages where changed
> to be more variable in terms of what they print, those often can not be
> combined.  IT seems the main area of benefit is spells.

The other useful one is searching for traps, especially at low levels,
I find that a small number of searches isn't sufficiant, and will hold
down the 's' key for a while, using the output count to bundle the
messages into groups of 10. That way I can search 50-100 times
(depending on how bored/paranoid I am feeling) without having the
searching messages spam the message list hopelessly.

Potentially client side support for this could be much better than
existing server-side support (if it were to say redraw the last
message on the same line it was on but with 'n times:' prepended to
it), but no existing clients do that.