[crossfire] Removal of output-count/output-sync from server

Sun Oct 8 11:07:46 CDT 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 07:44 pm
Brendan Lally wrote:

> On 10/7/06, Mark Wedel <mwedel at sonic.net> wrote:
> >   One area that could use cleanup IMO is the output buffer handling in
> > the server.

> >   One question is whether it makes sense to put that code into the
> > client. Given that both GTK clients have multiple panes for messages, and
> > the only thing that really benefits from this combinining messages is the
> > attack messages, the amount of benefit isn't as great.  Plus, since the
> > attack messages where changed to be more variable in terms of what they
> > print, those often can not be combined.  IT seems the main area of
> > benefit is spells.
>
> The other useful one is searching for traps, especially at low levels,
> I find that a small number of searches isn't sufficiant, and will hold
> down the 's' key for a while, using the output count to bundle the
> messages into groups of 10. That way I can search 50-100 times
> (depending on how bored/paranoid I am feeling) without having the
> searching messages spam the message list hopelessly.
>
> Potentially client side support for this could be much better than
> existing server-side support (if it were to say redraw the last
> message on the same line it was on but with 'n times:' prepended to
> it), but no existing clients do that.

Yes, I use it too to control how much garbage scrolls by in my client. Please
don't remove that until there is a replacement in the client.

Gene Alexander
 11:06:13 up  3:19,  7 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.27, 0.19
ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare preloads & sales