[crossfire] HallOfSelection in crossfire 2.0

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Sun Oct 8 21:27:52 CDT 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 02:58 pm, Alex Schultz wrote:

> It's not a big thing, just a little detail, but it's a fun thing. I'm
> thinking that the top section of the HallOfSelection that's displayed
> when players are logging in,  should have some cosmetic changes in the
> trunk (2.0 branch). It would be nice if to make it so what was displayed
> there would be something that would make players think something like
> "Ooh, this looks shiny" when they first see it, and when seeing in the
> future, can at the slightest glance be like "Neat, a 2.0 server". I'm
> thinking that it would be neat to use either movers or the cfanim plugin
> to make an interesting animation for it.
> Anyone have any comments on this simple but fun idea? :)

The HallOfSelection is pretty bland, and a bit of rework could be
something cool.  I always thought the opening background was rather
crude even though the earth/wind/fire/water theme is appropriate.

If  one isn't careful though, I'd think gameplay would be a let-down to
newbies if the opening screen was amazing and the rest of the game
remains the same.  It would seem a bit like false advertising to me.

Also, not meaning to be Debby Downer, but, if I wanted to play
something shiny, I wouldn't play Crossfire.  As it is, the smoothing
looks like crap, so I turn it off.  I'd rather see some real improvement
in things like smoothing than adding window dressing.  On the flip side,
I am also not into having to have a liquid-cooled graphics processor
and a 10m/b up/downlink from the net just to play around.

Kevin