[crossfire] SVN notes/thoughts

Christian Hujer cher at riedquat.de
Mon Oct 9 17:29:02 CDT 2006

Hi,

On Monday 25 September 2006 23:09 Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
> >   I think similar logic could also be used to embed the version number
> > into the client and server binaries.  That way, when someone reports a
> > bug, it is very clear what version they are running.  By using a state
> > file, it means we don't need to recompile and relink everytime (if we
> > just used svnversion to blindly write a .c/.h file, then everytime it
> > would recompile and relink that component).
>
> Agreed, having the exact revision number would be really nice to see the
> exact issue.
I agree and highly recommend this (using revision number). I use it in
Gridarta for a long time already.

You actually can get the last change revision number instead of the latest
update revision number out of the subversion client:
svn info --xml doc | xql /info/entry/commit/@revision -cv
XML is such a wonderful thing (read: Life can be so easy ;-)

$ rpm -qf $(which xql)
perl-XML-XQL-0.68-150

> >   In both of these cases, we also need to handle the case for the
> > official releases, where there will not be any SVN information in the
> > downloaded source code, and the user may not even have svn tools
> > installed.
>
> Well, that's what tags/branches are for, i guess :)
Yes.

If used correctly, a release tag semantically is nothing else but a symbolic
name assigned to a specific repository revision. (The symbolic name is
assigned using svn cp, and please use svn cp with remote URLs for that,
creating a symbolic name locally neither makes sense nor is it a lot of fun)

Cher :)
--
Christian Hujer
Free software developer
mailto:cher at riedquat.de
http://www.riedquat.de/
PGP Fingerprint: 03DE 4B72 4E57 A98D C79B 24A5 212E 0217 0554 CCAB