[crossfire] Improved/redone client.

Alex Schultz alex_sch at telus.net
Tue Oct 10 17:48:08 CDT 2006

Nicolas Weeger (Laposte) wrote:
> The best thing would be to have "game mode", either full screen or not, with a
> specialized toolkit, and "integrated mode", integrated in the desktop (using
> style and such).

In my opinion this would be a great feature to have, however might be
difficult to implement. The two ways I see to implement it would be:
-Do something along the lines of what you say below, a much higher level
common layer.
-Less flexibly, as a gtk2 theme with small changes in logic and hacks to
make popups have custom title bars and stay within the game view (might
involve interesting platform specific code).

The second would probably be less work, however IMHO more hackish and
more likely to have odd quirks. I'm not sure which I would deem better
overall though.

> <snip>
> A nice thing would be to have a generic client, with an interface layer. This
> way we could apply different interfaces while retaining a common layer. Think
> something like Firefox's XUL, maybe? (as a concept, i certainly don't suggest
> to use that language for the interface).
> Maybe with a "widget" system? Let users write (in Python? LUA?) their own
> displaying widget to display game information?
Well, we already have a common layer of sorts with the common code,
however what you suggest of making something much higher level would be
a very interesting idea. How much work it is to implement may be another
matter though.

Alex Schultz