[crossfire] Improved/redone client.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 16 02:52:15 CDT 2006

Alex Schultz wrote:

> -Less flexibly, as a gtk2 theme with small changes in logic and hacks to
> make popups have custom title bars and stay within the game view (might
> involve interesting platform specific code).
>
> The second would probably be less work, however IMHO more hackish and
> more likely to have odd quirks. I'm not sure which I would deem better
> overall though.

  Actually, that isn't an issue.  Within gtk/x11, there are several placement
methods.

  There is the general "I don't care where this window pops up", in which case
some window managers let the user place it, other window managers decide for the
user where it should go.

  There is the true pop up, which appears beneath the mouse pointer.  Right
click within a gnome-terminal and you get this.

  There is the window created by the application (what we've been calling pop
ups, but aren't really).  The application can set where these windows should
appear, and the window manager will put them there.  If the window manager
doesn't, it is broken, and not something we can concern ourselves with.  A basic
example of this is the metaserver window within the gtk2 client.  It is set to
be centered on the parent, and that is where it shows up.  We could do other
things within gtk, like align on left edge, etc, if we so wanted.

  That said, these are still windows, so the window manager to still try to
manager them (close the window, move them around by hand, etc).  But if players
start doing that, that is their decision.

  In fact, I could actually see that be a bonus for some players.  The gtk2
client doesn't support splitwindows anymore, I don't think, but if we had an
inventory window, being able to drag it of so it isn't on top of the client
could be considered a plus.  Well, at least for me it could be, given I run dual
screens.