[crossfire] Improved/redone client.

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Oct 11 02:05:04 CDT 2006

> A nice thing would be to have a generic client, with an interface layer. This
> way we could apply different interfaces while retaining a common layer. Think
> something like Firefox's XUL, maybe? (as a concept, i certainly don't suggest
> to use that language for the interface).
> Maybe with a "widget" system? Let users write (in Python? LUA?) their own
> displaying widget to display game information?

  The problem/complication is that at some level, the UI becomes a pretty major
portion of the code.

  And it probably makes more sense to spend our time to just get a good,
thorough  working client with (for lack of better term) hardcoded toolkits and
not have some scripting writing language that no one really uses.

  Now an intersting side point to this is that the gtk2 client uses glade for
all the layout.  In theory, someone could write a new glade file/description,
and as long as all the widgets remain the same, could just be dropped in place.

  This in fact may be the thing to do relative to high and low resolution
clients - rather than trying to have layout to cover everything, having two
glade files might not be that unreasonable.

  Now I do think the current code may need some additional work.  In such a
model, I could certainly see some versions not implementing all the widgets (for
space reasons, whatever else).  That can easily enough be handled I think in the
code to make sure the widget isn't null, but that checking isn't there right now.